The Engineering Freshman Learning Community (FLC) will have an info session at the Explore UNC Charlotte events. Applications for the Engineering FLC are accepted mid January through July 1 at LC.UNCC.edu.
The College of Engineering Learning Community (FLC) offers students a unique opportunity to start strong on their path to completing their College of Engineering degree. With the challenge of the rigorous curriculum, the first year of college can be very demanding. We strive to help FLC participants learn what it takes to achieve excellence with the support of a tight-knit community of persevering students who share common goals and interests.
The Engineering FLC is open to all traditional freshmen who have been accepted to the Lee College of Engineering. It is a residential program. FLC participants live in Hawthorn Hall for two semesters (fall and spring). The FLC offers suite living in Hawthorn Hall. Each 4-person suite has two bedrooms, a bathroom, and living room. The basement has a laundry room, game room/TV area, and a full-size classroom that houses our Creativity Lab.
The FLC supports students' success by offering programming targeted to three key areas:
- Learning about the profession
- Developing the skills it takes to be a successful college of Engineering student
- Building a sense of community
Activities and field trips specifically geared to the young men and women of the FLC are available and encouraged. Students in the FLC also take science, math, and liberal studies courses with the general University population allowing them to develop friendships with students from other majors while living in an environment supporting their success in this challenging program. Tutoring for most common courses is available in the FLC several nights each week free of charge! Examples of FLC activities include:
- ENGR 0600 Seminar Course for FLC participants with weekly guest speakers in the fall semester
- Life Takes Engineering with Strong Women Luncheon hosted by the FLC with a guest speaker from a local engineering company
- University Center for Academic Excellence workshops on study skills
- Utilizing a Job Fair workshop hosted by the University Career Center
- Gingerbread House Competition judged by College of Engineering alumni
- Over 30 hours per week of tutoring in the residence hall
New Feature: The Engineering FLC has a Creativity Lab in the basement classroom of Hawthorn Hall. The Creativity Lab has two 3D printers, a laser cutter and robotics equipment for use by the students! We will have design challenges and an expo to share your work.