The College of Engineering Learning Community (FLC) offers students a unique opportunity for successfully completing their degree. With the challenges of the rigorous curriculum, the first year of college can be very demanding. Therefore, FLC participants learn what it takes to achieve excellence with the support of a tight-knit community of persevering students who share common goals and interests.
The Engineering FLC is open to all traditional freshmen who have been accepted to the Lee College of Engineering. It is a residential program. FLC participants live in Hawthorn Hall for two semesters (fall and spring). The FLC offers suite living in Hawthorn Hall. Each 4-person suite has two bedrooms, a bathroom, and living room. The basement has a laundry room, game room/TV area and a full-size classroom.
The FLC supports students' success by offering programming targeted to three key areas:
- Learning about the profession
- Developing the skills it takes to be a successful College of Engineering student
- Building a sense of community
Activities and field trips specifically geared to the young men and women of the FLC are available and encouraged. Students in the FLC also take science, math, and liberal studies courses with the general University population allowing them to develop friendships with students from other majors while living in an environment supporting their success in this challenging program. Tutoring for most common courses is available in the FLC several nights each week free of charge! Examples of FLC activities include:
- ENGR 0600 Seminar Course for FLC members with weekly guest speakers in the fall semester
- Field trips to various engineering facilities
- Women's Life Takes Engineering with Strong Women's Luncheon hosted by the FLC with guest speaker from a local engineering company
- University Center for Academic Excellence workshops on study skills
- Utilizing a Job Fair workshop hosted by the University Career Center
- Gingerbread House Competition judged by College of Engineering alumni
- Over 40 hours per week of tutoring in the residence hall
Donate to the FLC
Make a tax-deductible Charitable Gift to the FLC!
Please click on the "Make a Gift" logo and designate your gift to the College of Engineering Freshman Learning Community - Thank you!!