Those interested in learning more about the Engineering FLC please explore our web pages. The Engineering FLC is open for tours during the UNC Charlotte's Explore Open House events.
- April 29, 2017
- Virtual Tour will be offered during Admitted Students Day events.
Applications to the Learning Community are open January 10th through July 1st.
The College of Engineering Learning Community (FLC) offers you a unique opportunity for successfully completing your degree. With the challenges of the rigorous curriculum, your first year can be very demanding. Therefore, learn what it takes to achieve excellence with the support of a tight-knit community of persevering students who share common goals and interests.
The Engineering FLC is open to all traditional freshmen who have been accepted to the Lee College of Engineering Engineering and Engineering Technology majors. It is a residential program. Students accepted to the FLC live in Hawthorn Hall for two semesters (fall and spring).
The FLC offers suite living in Hawthorn Hall. Each 4-person suite has two bedrooms, a bathroom and living room. The basement has a laundry room, game room/TV area and a full-size classroom.
The FLC supports students' success by offering programming targeted to three key areas:
- Learning about the profession
- Learning the skills it takes to be a successful CoE student
- Building a sense of community
Activities and field trips specifically geared to the young men and women of the FLC are available and encouraged. Students in the FLC also take science, math and liberal studies courses with the general University population allowing them to develop friendships with students from other majors while living in an environment supporting their success in this challenging program. Tutoring is available for most common courses in the FLC several nights a week free of charge! Examples of FLC Activities include:
- ENGR 0600 Seminar Course for FLC members with weekly guest speakers in the Fall
- Field trips to various engineering facilities each year
- Women's Life Takes Engineering with Strong Women's Luncheon hosted by the FLC with guest speaker from Charlotte DOT
- University Center for Academic Excellence workshops on study skills
- Utilizing a Job Fair workshop hosted by the University Career Center
- Gingerbread House Competition, judged by Alumni
- Over 40 hours per week of tutoring in the residence hall
Donate to the FLC
Make a tax-deductible Charitable Gift to the FLC!
Please click on the "Make a Gift" logo and designate your gift to the College of Engineering Freshman Learning Community - Thank you!!